Sunday, November 30, 2014

Cossack Hat Season

Julie Christie behind the scenes of Doctor Zhivago (1965) 
by Maria 

I'm no hat person. I'd restrain with a messy bun before I'd cover with a baseball cap.  My hair could keep a small village warm without the help of your beanies and berets. Keep your earmuffs. Furthermore,  my multifunctional mane lends itself to my aversion to over-accessorizing. I've never met a wide-brimmed fedora I didn't remove before arriving at the intended destination, because it was just too much

She naively thought to herself, as the polar vortex of anguish and gloom swirled somewhere in the not-so-far-off distance, unbeknownst to our hatless wonder. 

Yes, this season I am proactively investing ("investing") in a faux fur cossack hat. It will accompany the periwinkle hand-me-down that became the star of my Cold War spy Halloween costume all the way back in 2011, when I was living in New Orleans and knew nothing of parkas. I invite you all to join me in this luxurious preemptive strike. 

New York Fashion Week AW 2013...Sung Hee Kim | Vanessa Jackman 

Paris Fashion Week AW 2014...Eva | Vanessa Jackman
The above look is one I intend to replicate a hundred times over as I narrowly avoid cabin fever in the mountains of New Mexico with my boyfriend and my senior thesis side-piece. Festive pajama sets. Stans. The gang's all here. 

Saoirse Ronan in Hanna (2011)


Both Topshop and Asos have several reasonably-priced variations on the theme. Grab winter by the balls for under $50. 



I'll bring the vodka. 





No comments:

Post a Comment